Thursday, October 23, 2008

Show Notes - Updated

Evening, All. I needed to put together my notes for tomorrow's show. Yep, after retreat, I am still enough of a media maven that I am not cancelling my appearance.

So, what's on the docket?

1.) Retreat: As much as I would like to say that every Catholic understands the importance of retreat, that would be untrue. Retreat is a time of renewal in one's lived relationship with God. Hence it is usually relaxing but it is also hard work, especially one on one. Hence, the question I regularly received when I got back was "Did you have fun?" That would be like saying, "Did you have fun at the Stations of the Cross?" Sadly, culturally speaking, Catholics have lost quite a little bit in the last several years, if it was present at all. Everyone is encouraged to make at least a Day of Recollection so that they can focus and re-focus on their relationship.

2.) This one is for A.K.: We are going to talk about a mysterious island, from which people want to escape, and don't really understand what's going on. There's even a mysterious object that can kill you if you run afoul of it. But we aren't talking about Lost. But we are talking about the scepticism about progress that should be part of a healthy Catholic mind.

3.) A person's a person: If there is time, I am going to suggest three movies for people to rent leading up to the election that should provide good thinking. Which three movies will I suggest?
UPDATE: Here are the three movies. (I know that I should make you listen to the show, but I have a bunch of other stuff to do.) For questions about the value of human life, see Gattaca. For questions about euthanasia, see Soylent Green. For the idea that ideas matter and have consequences, check out Fahrenheit 451.


Okay, kids. If you don't get Relevant Radio, google and listen live. I'll be on at 6:00 a.m. and again at 9:00 a.m.

No comments: