Tuesday, May 23, 2006

It's Way Too Hot to Do Anything Else But Sit Inside and Blog

Summer in a parish usually means that things slow down and take it easy. Lots of planning and lots of mulling over ideas, but all in all, the afternoons are quiet and the evenings open. Regularly, I never have a free evening, so having one is, well, pleasant. It won't last, so I intend to enjoy them for as long as they last.

A couple of weeks back, I offered to make biscuits for the parish breakfast buffet on Palm Sunday. Of course, I realized that it would take about 10 dozen to cover the spread and I began cursing my loose lips. Then, I had a moment of clarity. What I needed was a stand mixer. You know the device I am thinking of. Something like this:



That device is a dream. It has changed the way I cook and I shop. I haven't purchased a loaf of bread from the store for over a month. In the meantime, I have made three wheat loafs, 4 honey oatmeal loafs, 2 loaves of pumpernickel, about 4 dozen chocolate chip jelly bean cookies, and a tasty lemon cake. But that is not where the dietary joys end. The bread has translated into several presents and became the bases of a couple of other dishes, namely french toast and homemade croutons. Next on the agenda? Candy, namely divinity (seems fitting, doesn't it?).

Also, the garden is off and rolling. Today, gave the plants a little food and a midday water. In the garden, I have planted tomatoes (Roma, Brandywine, and Lemon Boy), green peppers, parsley, and rosemary. There are a cluster of little tomato-lings. I am looking forward to harvesting those tasty globes. We will keep you posted.

Lastly, I am ready to destroy Wal-Mart because of their absolute evil. I stopped by the great oppressor of my desires in order to pick up some soda for the rectory. I went in search of Peach Fresca, only to discover that they weren't carrying Fresca (at all)! I was looking forward to that grapefruit-licious spiked with the summer time taste of peach. But also, it was not to be.

Okay, enough from me, but that is all that fills the exciting schedule right now. I need to work up a shopping list. The larder is lean.

No comments: