Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Show me the money!
Why are Catholics such routinely poor monetary contributors to their parish? Studies show that Catholics always rank on the bottom among studies of all Christian ecclesial communities. The past several weeks I have been crunching numbers and watching the deficit grow. Just last week I initiated a new "finance box" in the bulletin, showing what we must collect each week to make budget and what we actually collected from the previous weekend. Of the eight weekends so far in the new fiscal year (since July 1) all but two have been deficit weekends. Therefore, in big, bold letters in the finance box is the word DEFICIT, and the cumulative total to date. That is my first move to make people aware of the concern and of the reality that running a parish costs money. I am also making plans for a finance talk in the upcoming weeks. We'll see how the sheep respond.

No comments: