Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Out of the mouths of babes
Speaking of world doom and destruction (read my post immediately above) ... Last night I instructed the children before they made their first confessions. I explained to them how the Sacrament proceeded and told them not to worry. I reassured them that the priest, whoever is present when they go to confession, is there to help them. I reminded them that they should keep practicing and learning their prayers, especially the ones used in confession. And I added that if they forgot one of their prayers, the priest would help them, that the most important thing to remember is that this Sacrament is an experience of Jesus' forgiveness, and I capped it all off by saying, "So, if you forget a prayer, it's not like it will be the end of the world."

One young boy quickly chimed in, "Oh, I'm not worried about that. I know God would never let that happen."

I literally was left stumbling over, not words, but guttural sounds that never properly formed into words in my mouth. I quickly decided that was not the moment to open up certain Biblical passages or to reference a theology text on eschatology. I guess we'll talk about that subject later! I think I responded by saying something like, "Well, okay, so let's just remember Jesus' love for us and try our best to learn our prayers anyway..."

No comments: